What is it all about

Mainly about, photography from around the world and comments on everyday life. Also check out my website here and many of my travel and other various photos here on Flickr. The map below shows you where we have been over the past few years.

Hover Your Mouse Over The Green Bits!!




Tuesday, 18 September 2007

ABC Wednesday. "I" Is For Icefields From 37,000 Feet

This weeks attempt comes from space, well almost, these photographs were taken at 37,000 ft above the earth. The 1st photo shows an ice field of Baffin Island and the next 4 show the ice fields of Greenland

It is difficult to imagine the enormity of these glaciers when viewed from this height, they must be miles across.

I left the plane wing in some of them for purposes of scaling, although it probably would not make any difference and oh! yes the plane wing was in the way.

It was a great flight with manly clear skies. The colours I think are very bold especially the sky in contrast with the ground which is a little tamer.









10 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Nice work, Pete. Gets my vote ....

Mike said...

The last time I flew over that way I remember thinking how close everything looked. You get no sense of scale at all. I was half expecting to see a polar bear!

kml said...

Wow - what beautiful photos! Love the first one!

mrsnesbitt said...

Awesome Peter!
Amazing the perpective we all have.

Neva said...

What an amazing photo!! Nice job!

dot said...

WOW! I'll just enjoy yor photos and pass on the plane ride!

photowannabe said...

Totally amazing shots Peter. I remember seeing something similar when we flew to Finland in the 80's, of course no digital camera then or any decent camera for that type of photography.
My Mountain air shot pales by comparison.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comments.

Max-e said...

These are great shots Peter. So much to see out there.

Peter said...

Dave - thanks for the vote and link on your site

Mike - you are correct as discussed, you can almost reach down and touch

kml - Thanks for comment

mrsnesbitt - Agree lots of perspective

Neva - Thanks

dot - Plane ride was amazing too

photowannbee - Thanks for comments, yes Europe has some great arial scenery as well

Max - Thanks yes there is plenty to see and do

WalksFarWoman said...

Great shots Peter, especially taken through a window. Last time I was in mid air, the windows were so dirty there was little point in taking out the camera.