What is it all about

Mainly about, photography from around the world and comments on everyday life. Also check out my website here and many of my travel and other various photos here on Flickr. The map below shows you where we have been over the past few years.

Hover Your Mouse Over The Green Bits!!




Wednesday, 3 October 2007

ABC - Wednesday, "K" Is For Ketchikan, A Bit Late I Know

I am a bit late today, I have been swatting for interviews, had some chores to do and then had to work down the pub, now I am back, fed, watered and ready to go.

These few photos are part of the Alaskan part of the trip that we went on, they are concerned with Ketchikan today. Ketchikan is the fifth most populous city in the U.S. state of Alaska and the southeastern most sizable city in that state.

Ketchikan's economy is based upon tourism and fishing, and the city is known as the "Salmon Capital of the World." The Misty Fjords National Monument is one of the area's major attractions.

Ketchikan is named after Ketchikan Creek, which flows through the town. Ketchikan comes from the Tlingit name for the creek, Kitschk-hin, the meaning of which is unclear, it may mean "the river belonging to Kitschk." Other accounts claim it means "Thundering Wings of an Eagle." [2] Ketchikan also has the world's largest collection of standing totem poles located at three major locations: Saxman Village, Totem Bight, and the Totem Heritage Center.

So there you have it a brief history. Now for the photos:

The first three photos are of Totem Poles at Saxman Native Village, see the link above.


The next five are of a place called Creek Street

This was originally where you would find most of the ladies of the night and other less fortunates.


The fifth one below is of a Creek Street spider I saw enjoying a meal.

The next one is of a house in Pine Street, I love the green colour


And this one is a photo of our ship The Sapphire Princess


Finally here is a photo of a singing Husky I spotted on the way back to the ship, I think he was singing I ain't nothing but a hound dog singing all the time.

OK, now it is time to sell on ebay the Pirelli calanders I have just acquired and which date back to the 80's. The guy who gave them to me said have 50% commission, what a guy, have you seen how much some of these go for!!!

12 comments:

kml said...

The totems are beautiful and that dog is just crazy!

Good luck on ebay!

mrsnesbitt said...

Awesome Peter,so creative!

Dxx

Max-e said...

Nice post Peter and I like your photos

photowannabe said...

Love the singing dog Peter and the totems are so interesting. When I went on the Alasken cruise we went to Totem Bight. Really fascinating trip.
Thanks for visiting my post, come again.

WalksFarWoman said...

Peter - I love the backdrop of your second photo - it looks so expansive.
Dolly looks game doesn't she! Bet she could give you just as nasty a nip as that spider. :) Fascinating subject.

I envy you that trip, it looks fantastic - that 'tug' looks pretty luxurious! :)

Peter M said...

kml - yes there were many totems, so spoilt for choice really and the dog was a pro

mrsnesbitt - once again thanks for your re-assuring comment

max-e - thanks for comment

photowannabe - did you get any photos of the totems, do you have them on your blog

Walksfarwoman - Yes I tried to push the background as far away as possible with a zoom lense to highlight the actual totem.

All above, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

Nicole said...

Great photos and I love the totems. What a beautiful spot to visit. Love the dog sining :-)

david mcmahon said...

G'day Peter,

Thanks for the reminder - wonderful memories for me, because I did the cruise in 1999 and saw many of the sights you;ve photographed here.

Good work, sir.

Yes, I;ve been a bit quiet lately because I have to finish my novel this month - but feel free to give me a dig in the ribs a coupla times each week!

Do keep in touch

Cheers

David

Peter M said...

Cheers David

Ackworth Born said...

Hi Peter, great photos - we've done two cruises and it is a great way of seeing places - will add you to the ABC blogroll on my site next time I update [wednesday at the latest]

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I missed this somehow. I love Alaska and Ketchikan. We spent a couple of days there after riding the Alaska Marine Highway ferry (not as posh as your boat). Husky was probably 'talking' which they are very good at. They don't bark as I have had a Siberian Husky for 12 years and she has only barked twice.

david said...

Very nice pictures.